On December 14, the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) announced 13 “Centers for Sustainability Across the Curriculum,” which will partner with AASHE to offer workshops and other professional development opportunities on sustainability in the curriculum beginning in 2017. The Centers were selected through a competitive application process held earlier this year. (See the AASHE press release.)
The Centers will be hosted at the following institutions:
- Center for Sustainability at Ramapo College of New Jersey
- David E. Shi Center for Sustainability at Furman University
- Center for Sustainability Education at Dickinson College
- University of Kansas and Johnson County Community College
- Moraine Valley Community College
- Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
- The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
- The Washington Center for Sustainability Education at Seattle University and Western Washington University
- University of South Carolina – Columbia
The new AASHE Centers are free to seek staffing, planning, content and other support from independent providers. The Sustainability Curriculum Consortium (SCC) has positioned itself to support AASHE Centers as well as other university-based sustainability curriculum and faculty development initiatives.
According to AASHE, the goal of the new Centers for Sustainability Across the Curriculum program is to accelerate the infusion of sustainability content into curriculum by increasing the availability and accessibility of faculty development opportunities related to sustainability. The professional development offerings from these Centers will be available to faculty from other institutions in the region. Centers will be scheduling workshops throughout 2017 which will be advertised on the AASHE website.
As an AASHE organizational member, SCC applauds the establishment of the 13 new Centers and is ready to assist in advancing their programming.
For more information, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.